A host of motor sport legends have signed up for the 2010 Race Of Champions, ensuring a star-studded line-up at Düsseldorf’s ESPRIT arena on November 27-28.
The annual end-of-season competition, now in its 23rd year, brings together the world’s greatest drivers from motor sport’s most prestigious disciplines and pits them head-to-head in identical machinery. It has recently been hosted by Paris’ Stade de France (2004-2006), London’s Wembley Stadium (2007-2008) and Beijing’s ‘Bird’s Nest’ National Stadium (2009), but now The Race of Champions is returning to mainland Europe and the city of Düsseldorf.
This year’s driver roll call includes seven-time Formula 1 world champion Michael Schumacher, four-time F1 world champion Alain Prost, 2010 F1 title contender Sebastian Vettel, seven-time world rally champion Sébastien Loeb, five-time world 500cc motorcycling champion Mick Doohan, eight-time Le Mans 24-Hour race winner Tom Kristensen, three-time world touring car champion Andy Priaulx, 11-time X-Games gold medallist Travis Pastrana and 2007 NASCAR Nationwide Series Champion Carl Edwards.
The venue is a particular delight to Schumacher and Vettel, who have won The ROC Nations Cup (the team event at The Race of Champions) for Germany for the past three years. Vettel says: “It is special to do this kind of event in front of your home crowd. It will be a unique experience and hopefully Michael and I will get a lot of support. Whatever happens it’s a great way to end the season.”
The Race of Champions will take place on a specially constructed tarmac track with two parallel lanes winding their way round the Düsseldorf arena. With its capacity of over 50,000 and such talent on show the atmosphere will already be red hot – and the stadium’s roof and heating system will get its own warm reception from everyone involved.
Race organiser Fredrik Johnsson, who created the event in 1988 alongside Michèle Mouton, the world’s most successful female rally driver, added: “We’re thrilled that so many huge names have signed up for later this month - it's one of the best line-ups in ROC history.”
Keep up with www.raceofchampions.com for news as the countdown to the 2010 Race of Champions continues. Tickets are now available with prices starting at 29 Euros.
Drivers confirmed for the 2010 Race of Champions:
- Michael SCHUMACHER, Seven-time Formula 1 World Champion
- Alain PROST, Four-time Formula 1 World Champion
- Sébastien LOEB, Seven-time World Rally Champion
- Mick DOOHAN, Five-time World 500cc Motorcycling Champion
- Sebastian VETTEL, 2010 Formula 1 title contender
- Tom KRISTENSEN, Eight-time Le Mans 24-Hour race winner
- Heikki KOVALAINEN, Formula 1 grand prix winner
- Andy PRIAULX, Three-time World Touring Car Champion
- Jason PLATO, Two-time British Touring Car Champion
- Alvaro PARENTE, GP2 race winner & winner, ROC South Europe 2010
- Filipe ALBUQUERQUE, A1GP race winner & winner, ROC South Europe 2010
- Jeroen BLEEKEMOLEN, Two-time Porsche Supercup Champion
- Bertrand BAGUETTE, 2009 World Series by Renault Champion
- Travis PASTRANA, Eleven-time X-Games gold medallist
- Carl EDWARDS, 2007 NASCAR Nationwide Series Champion