- NASCAR great Carl Edwards has signed up for the 2010 Race Of Champions in Düsseldorf, Germany on November 27-28
- Edwards is one of America’s very best NASCAR drivers with nearly 50 race wins to his name, each celebrated with a trademark backflip. For Team USA, he will be paired with Travis Pastrana, winner of 11 X-Games gold medals and four Rally America titles
- The Americans are the latest names in a stunning ROC 2010 line-up that includes the greatest drivers of all time from F1 (Michael Schumacher), World Rally Championship (Sébastien Loeb), Le Mans (Tom Kristensen) and WTCC (Andy Priaulx)
Team USA will head to the 2010 Race of Champions in Düsseldorf on November 27-28 with a formidable line-up after NASCAR great Carl Edwards signed up alongside countryman Travis Pastrana, the 11-time X-Games gold medallist who announced his participation last month.
The annual end-of-season competition brings together the world’s greatest drivers from motor sport’s most prestigious disciplines and pits them head-to-head in identical machinery. Now Edwards and Pastrana have joined a driver roll call that already includes seven-time F1 world champion Michael Schumacher, four-time F1 world champion Alain Prost, six-time world rally champion Sébastien Loeb, eight-time Le Mans 24-Hour race winner Tom Kristensen, 2010 F1 title contender Sebastian Vettel and three-time world touring car champion Andy Priaulx.
The dazzling host of motorsport superstars will not faze Edwards, who took pole position at last weekend’s NASCAR race at Richmond. He has a glowing list of honours in America’s biggest series, with nearly 50 wins and counting, as well as the 2007 NASCAR Nationwide Driver’s Championship. At the American’s debut appearance at The Race of Champions, at Wembley in 2008, he knocked seven-time world F1 champion Michael Schumacher out of the individual event.
“I really enjoyed my first trip to The Race of Champions and I’m delighted to be going back,” said Edwards. “It’s a great opportunity to mix with the best drivers from all the biggest series of motorsport around the world. I’ll be aiming to knock out some more megastars while Travis and I will give it everything to try and bring the ROC Nations Cup home to the USA.”
Check out Edwards, Pastrana and NASCAR legend Jeff Gordon talking about The Race of Champions on ESPN at this link: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5581171
The Race of Champions has been staged every year since 1988, founded by IMP President Fredrik Johnsson and Michèle Mouton, the world’s most successful female rally driver. This year’s event will take place on a specially constructed tarmac circuit with two parallel lanes winding their way round Düsseldorf’s ESPRIT arena.
Johnsson said: “We’re delighted that Carl can complete such a strong line-up for Team USA this year. He made a big impact at his first appearance in 2008, as Michael Schumacher will no doubt remember well. Now let’s see what he can do on Michael’s home turf…”
More star drivers will be announced as the countdown to the 2010 Race of Champions continues in the run-up to the big weekend in Düsseldorf on November 27-28.
Tickets are now available from www.raceofchampions.com with prices starting at 29 Euros. Sign up for all the latest updates at www.raceofchampions.com
, @raceofchampions on Twitter or Race Of Champions on Facebook.
Drivers already confirmed for the 2010 Race of Champions:
- Seven-time Formula 1 World Champion Michael Schumacher (Team Germany)
- Four-time Formula 1 World Champion Alain Prost (Team France)
- Six-time World Rally Champion Sébastien Loeb (Team France)
- Red Bull Racing’s multiple grand prix winner Sebastian Vettel (Team Germany)
- Eight-time Le Mans 24-Hour Race Winner Tom Kristensen (Team Scandinavia)
- Three-time World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx (Team UK)
- Eleven-time X-Games Gold medalist Travis Pastrana (Team USA)
- 2007 NASCAR Nationwide Series champion Carl Edwards (Team USA)